Thursday, December 17, 2009

Winter Freeze

It is COLD outside. I've lived in this state for almost 20 some years and every year the coldness just boggles my mind. In my mind, it's been getting colder but I think Michigan's been experiencing less snow for some reason. I remember as a kid, there use to be a huge hill in front of my apartment where I use to live in middle school. Some friends and I thought it was just an amazing hill in the winter snow. It was this steep hill and it was meant for sledding. God made that hill just for sledding, I'm pretty sure. One winter, there was alot of snow and so late in the night, some friends and I decided to go sledding. We walk up to the top of the hill and I think I never experienced snow come up to my hips until that night. Either I was really short or snow just poured on that hill.

Another time in high school, some church friends and I went to our old elementary school which had this gigantic hill. Every winter, all the kids would bring their rolled up sleds to school so that during recess they could slide down that hill. So there was alot of snow packed on the ground when we revisited our elementary school that night. We brought some random sleds we could find and decided to put that snow to use. We spent a few hours out there making snow mounds, sledding on two legs, trying jumps, we tried everything. After we were too tired, we got in my friends car and he started doing figure eights in the ice/snow covered parking lot. That was actually alot of fun considering my butt was pretty numb from the cold and sled jump attempts.

Another time, back at the apartment I use to live at, the parking lot was really big and so the snow trucks would push all the snow towards this middle light pole in the lot. They ended up creating this enormous snow mound that was so full of potential. Some friends and I would spend a few days working on digging out a cave in this mound so that we could get a fort going. For some reason I don't remember finishing it, I think we might have gotten bored because no one was gonna attack a snow fort in the middle of a lot when there's no snow around to attack with.

I miss my winter childhood experiences. Nowadays, the cold just bites and snow makes my shoes wet and jeans soaked. I'm afraid of slipping on ice and most times like right now, I just want to stay home and not leave at all. I'm gonna miss Michigan winters. I hope that this won't be my last winter here in Ann Arbor... Michigan... US... but somethings are just not in my control. I'm gonna miss a lot of things if I leave. Forget the weather and objects and temporaries, I'm gonna miss a lot of people. I wish it didn't have to come down to this.

TIme to get back to the last paper of the semester...


Let me take you in my Hand
And make you all that I want you to be
I will help you understand your purpose
And what you can do through Me
Fulfilling My destiny

No comments:

Post a Comment