Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Godfather, the greatest



I never buy movies on DVD but this week, history was made for the 2nd time and possibly the last. I purchased Godfather Part II. Care to guess what movie I bought the first time?

I'm only beginning to scratch the surface of the cinematic beauty of the Godfather I & II. Every time I watch it, I discover something new that never occurred to me before. The story unfolds through these two films. One captures the honor, respect, family, prestige. Vito Corleone loves his family, being a man who did what he had to do to take care of those he loved, a man of principle who never crossed certain bounds. The other captures a fall, isolation, ruthlessness, brutality, cold. Michael Corleone gradually loses everything, his humanity, his warmth and innocence, the honor and respect have all but disappeared by the end of the second film. One portrays the rise and the other portrays the fall.

There are many scenes in the films that grip me but one particular scene is when young Vito is on the immigrant boat passing across the Statue of Liberty. The camera sweeps across the deck of the boat and captures the hopes and dreams of all the immigrants staring out at the symbol of freedom and opportunity. Their faces are lit as if reborn, their eyes are filled with hope and dreams of a new life, a second chance and a passage into a place where their destinies are completely in their control.

Another scene that I anticipate for is when Vito and Michael are sitting together in the yard and Vito speaks of all he wanted for Michael, a congressman, a senator, president Corleone. Vito wanted something better for Michael, that his son would one day be the one "pulling the strings." Its a moving scene of a father and son, a passage of rite, a father that shares with his son his regret for what he failed to do. Vito Corleone admits his imperfections while defending his actions as a family provider and protector.

The Godfather I & II are worth every scene. I do not regret owning them, they are worth owning because they are the epitome of American film. It's an American success story and yet an American tragedy. A superb story of America that grips and delights, that is heart-breaking and tragic.


1 comment:

  1. SB, I will make an offer you can't refuse.







    Would you marry me?

    ReplyDelete