Wednesday, September 9, 2009

First Week

I really missed learning. My brain has been the equivalent of a sponge these days. Reading this, reading that, scrolling through powerpoints, scratching notes on my college rule til the professor stops talking and feeling the cramp in my hand. It's a great feeling. But what's even better is typing my notes and feeling great without the hand cramp. I've slowly migrated to taking notes on my mac, still getting use to it and very much fearful what would happen if my computer crashed.

In my polsci 311 class, I've learned the history of surveys. I've learned the origins of the critically acclaimed world renown ISR at U of M. I've learned that statistically, half of all Americans do not know who the senate majority leader is and that more Americans know that former president Bush hates broccoli than who is Karl Marx. Fascinating is it not?

How about in my History of Art class, the world's first photograph took approximately 8 hours of exposure time to develop and it doesn't even look sharp at all.

Through what I learned in my labor economics class, I can logically prove to you that welfare checks from the government are disincentives to get impoverished people back to work. Too bad I had to drop the class.

Do you know what makes corals so colorful? A photosynthesizing algae called zooxanthellae covers most corals which would otherwise be plain white. Geosci 100.

Thomas Raffles, was governor of the current Indonesian island of Java in 1811 before the Dutch took it back four years later. Polsci 354.

I love it and I want more. I want so much more. Falling in love with school all over again.


1 comment:

  1. The sweetness. I took schooling for granted, and now that I'm teaching English to 8 year olds, I wish I could somehow communicate that education and knowledge are truly blessings.

    I'm glad you're back Sung Bum :)

    ReplyDelete